Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec and Exchange 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkahlert

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2002
DE
Hi!

I have a problem with Backup Exec 8.0 and Exchange 2000 running on a Windows 2000 Server with Active Directory.

I can't figure out how to save my mailboxes.

Each time I want to select the mailbox option, it asks me for a mailbox. I created a mailbox, I installed Outlook 2000, I setup Outlook for this mailbox, but nothing helps. It doesn't accept any name I type in there.

Any idea where the problem is? Or does anyone know a detailed website where I can look it up step by step?

Thanks in advance.

Matthias

Man, I went round and round with this issue so many times and could never figure it out. Ultimately, I have BE startup as the domain admin and everything works fine.

Hi Matthias...

Backup Exec is a major pain for backing up, not to mention restoring data from Exchange Server. You didn't mention whether or not you have installed the "Exchange Server Agent". Without that, you will not be able to effectively backup or restore Exchange server. The agent costs about $495, and installs like a "snap in" for the Veritas engine. You also need the "open file agent", as Exchange Server keeps a lock on it's databases while the service is running, not to mention just about any other file the OS is using, and costs about another $495.

Jon Lucas
Systems Admin Consulting

I have BackupExec 8.6 installed in an NT4/Exchange 5.5 environment and Outlook 2000 would not work when attempting to backup an individual mailbox. I had to install outlook97 (or outlook98) and then it worked. Your situation is obviously different since you have a Windows2000/Exchange2000 environment. I just wanted to note this here and hope you get a response from someone that has a similar environment. I would be curious to know when I upgrade my NT/Exchange5.5 to W2K/E2k environment if there is anything different that needs to be done.

Check those points:

- Have you installed the Exchange module ?
- Is the name of your Exchange Mailbox the same that your BE service ?
- This mailbox should have access rights nearly everywhere in the Exchange configuration (start by giving rights on everything).
- I agree with zoeythecat, forget Outlook 2000, too much bugs, prefer Outlook 97.
- Have you installed Exhange Administrator tools on the BE server ?
- Have you configured this mailbox as the default profile under windows (not sure it is necessary but very usefull for notifications).
- I personnally never heard that the OFO was necessarry to backup an Exchange Server.

Try " , you'll find a lot of informations in the support section.

Hope this helps.

I have installed the Exchange Agent. BE is running as user "administrator", there is also an Exchange Mailbox with this name. I have Outlook 2000 installed and configured. I can send and receive mails using this installation.

Okay, I'll try with Outlook 97 next week. Perhaps this will help.

BTW: When it asks for a username and password in the Exchange agent, what should I enter there?
- \\server\username
- domain\username
- username@domain
- email address
- anything else?

Hye,

You should enter the mailbox name (so it seems that's "Administrator").

Is the mailbox "Administrator" mailbox based on the NT account ? (very usefull to avoid problems using different passwords).

Are they (BE and Exchange 2000) on the same server ?
If not you also should install "Exch. Administrator tools" on the BE server.

I also already had a problem when I was using a mailbox "A" mapped with an account "A" and logging to the NT server with an account "B".
For example:

Mailbox name VERITAS
BE service account VERITAS
NT session login Administrator

Try to use all the same (I'm sure you've already done that).

Bye.

Backing up Exchange 2k

1. Make sure the BE(backup exec) service account has FULL EXCHANGE ADMIN rights on the Exchange Service Manager(right click on the top hierchy and select Delegate Control)
add it there w/ the role Full Exchange Admin.

2. Make sure the BE service account is in the Domain admins/admins groups only and domain admins = the primary.
3. Have a mailbox setup for BE service account(not hidden)
4. Have outlook 2k or before installed on BE server.
5. login to BE server w/ BE service account, go into Outlook
send/recieve message to self.
6. Now, Stop all BE services
7. Rename bewinui.uni to .old
8 Start BE services
9. go into BE and attach to mailboxes
10. when prompt for Enter unique mailbox name, enter the BE service account mailbox name you created for BE service account.

WA LA !!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back