Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec 9 Installation Failure 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impothster

Technical User
Apr 17, 2003
GB
Scenario as follows:
Windows 2000 Server SP3 on a compaq ml370
Had Backup exec 9 revision 4367 SP1 running on the server with a few problems (which Veritas say could have been taken care of with hotfixes - fair enough). Decided to install their newest revision 4454 to clear up the problems. Tried an update installation first which failed with the wizard saying that the installation was interrupted before a complete install took place. Looked at the log file and it just seems to have stopped, no obvious error messages at all. Last line read 'upgrade state set to 7'. Decided to uninstall the older revision and install the newer one. Uninstalled 4367 and went ahead with the install of 4454. Installation stopped at the same place, this time the last line in the log file read '1: install 2: 3'. Have tried disabling AV software, reapplying W2KSP3, manually applying MDAC2.7SP1 and re-registering the installer with no sucess. Has anyone else had these problems and possibly found a solution? I am willing to email the log file if anyone is interested.

Wow, Sounds like your working on my server. I had Veritas 8.5 working fine. I was told I needed to upgrade to version 9.0 to get support for the Exchange Agent 9.0, So I tried to upgrade with failure after failure. I have been in contact with Veritas whp now has told me after a few email that I will need to speak to them on the phone, which will cost me more money.. Anyways here is what Veritas told me to try.
The problem you are facing can occur due to failed upgrade.
If the old Backup Exec data(job definition.. catalogs etc) is not of
importance then you can try following to uninstall the old faulty
installation and for fresh installation.

1. From control panel Add/ Remove program remove Backup Exec application.

2. Reboot the system.

3. Refer the attached document and remove any traces of old installation.

4. Update the system with latest service pack.

5. Download the latest Build 4454 for Backup Exec v9.0 from the following
link and perform installation.
To resolve the issue do the following

1. Download the MSI Installer Cleanup utility and install on the system in question.
It can be obtained from Microsoft at this location currently:

2. After the application is installed run it from Start/Programs/Windows Install Clean Up.

3. Select the VERITAS Update and VERITAS Backup Exec for Windows Servers and select Remove

4. Select Exit to end the clean up process.

5. Open Control Panel\Services in Windows NT 4.0 or from Administrative Tools in Windows 2000. Stop all Backup Exec services and the MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service

6. Remove the following VERITAS registry keys:
-- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\Adamm
-- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\Agent Accelerator for Windows NT/2000
-- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\Backup Exec
-- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\Common
-- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\SeaVirus
-- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS (ONLY IF EMPTY!!!)
-- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\VERITAS Backup Exec

7. Remove BE services by removing the following registry keys:
-- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BackupExecAgentAccelerator
-- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BackupExecAgentBrowser
-- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BackupExecDeviceMediaService
-- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BackupExecJobEngine
-- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BackupExecNamingService
-- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BBackupExecRPCService

8. Remove all MSDE and Backup Exec associated SQL components by removing the following registry keys:
-- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\BKUPEXEC
-- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server
InstalledInstance (REMOVE ONLY the BKUPEXEC entry)
-- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Component Set
InstanceComponentSet.1 or InstanceComponentSet.2. (REMOVE ONLY the one with the value {44FE936D-2B47-40D3-9109-FC1360BFB85D})
-- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSSQL$BKUPEXEC
-- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SQLAgent$BKUPEXEC

9. Reboot the system.

10. Remove all files from the Backup Exec install directory, i.e. C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT.

11. Remove all files from the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$BKUPEXEC directory.

Note: Incorrect use of the Windows Registry Editor can have disastrous results on a server operating system. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows Registry. Registry modifications should only be carried out by persons experienced in the use of the Registry Editor application.

That should remove all traces of Veritas for a clean install.

Good Luck

Did this work for anyone? I went through all of the steps and ended up with the same error again. " 1: INSTALL 2: 3"

NT 4.0 sp 6a, BE 8.6 (That used to work great).

Thanks for the help.

Yeah, I had the same results. It did not work. After I emailed Veritas support again I was told "The Backup Exec 9.0 issue, resolution will require the
personal attention of a VERITAS representative.

Please contact us through your local support number.
You can see a list of support numbers at our support web site: <
Please note that you may be charged for this service.
For the latest details on pricing, please visit < &quot;

So it looks like if I want to continue with Veritas support I will need to pay more money. I have decided to return the Veritas 9.0 update and wait until they work out the bugs. 8.5 has always worked well for me.

If anyone can get it to work, let us know..

Thanks for your posts. I did try it but same as before, just rolled back the installation with the same line in the log file. Luckily this is on a test server. I am going to give it another go when I rebuild the server (when I get time) in case any of my customers get this problem. I will post the results when I have done a few more tests. Meanwhile I am sticking with rev 4367 SP1 and necessary hotfixes which seems to work for customer sites.

Appreciate the info and if anyone manages to get it to work correctly, let us know.

Watch this space.

Gee,

I thought I was alone in this. Has anyone been able to install a stable version Backup exec 9.0?

If so let me know which build that was. I have not been able to get it to run on either Windows 2000 SBS or on Windows 2003 server.

The latter continued to report bad tapes after installation. The former backed up but at the end reported an error. An e-mail to Veritas deliverd a mail that I found very strange. One had to disable a number of services including AV and deselect the virtual exchange M (we had already tried that) but to no avail it still is not working!

As happy as I was with 8.6 I am as disappointed with 9.0.

A call to Veritas was met with the unfriendly note that support is not free. So is backup Exec 9.0 the new Veritas cash cow?

Any reccomendations???

The hardware I am using is SuperMicro Xeon servers with Adaptec raid controller and a separate PCI SCSI controller for the DDS-4 streamer. Nothing exotic but After days and nights of trying I am about to give up on this package as Veritas is not really helping.

Jabu

Jabu,

Thanks for asking the question. I have followed all of the above steps and still receive the same ending message and the last entry in the log is &quot;1: INSTALL 2: 3:&quot;

I am currently going to re-install 8.6.

Has anyone been able to install a stable version Backup exec 9.0?

I had a similar problem and was on tech support for over 3 hours. I was &quot;upgrading&quot; from 8.6 build 3088 to 9.0 build 4454. As with all of you, the installation not only failed, but the rollback failed to get 8.6 working. Now I'm screwed I'm thinking. A call to tech support and a 45 minute wait time followed by 3.5 hours on the phone (with a very nice support engineer) resulted in a working version of 9.0. Here is what I had to do with my NT4 SP6a server.

**** LEGAL DISCLAIMER *****
Any registery hacking or similar changes is done solely at the risk of the user. This poster takes no responsibilities for any problems that may occur from any registery changes noted in this posting.

Now that this is taken care of, the first thing that needs to be done is save the following to a safe location.

in the C:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\ folder, copy the catalog and data folder with the pvl.mdb file. This will save your history and jobs. Make sure that the data folder contains the *.txt files of your logs and all will be fine. With my situation, bloody 9.0 changed some folder names. My catalog was CatalogXX while my Data also had a DataXX folder. The Data one contained my logs.

Go into Add\Remove Progams and try to remove the Veritas Update install and the 8.x install. In my case, the Update installed fine, but the 8.x did not. If the 8.x did not uninstall, you will have to do this manually. Stop all Backup Exec services, and then use regedt32. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is where all the manaul deletions will take place.

With this procedure, you will need to delete all instances of Backup Exec so don't worry about any folders. Delete the following key folders:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\VERITAS
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Veritas
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services then delete all references to Backup Exec.....don't delete the Services key folder itself.
There was one additional key that we deleted, but unfortunately I cannot remember where it was. It wasn't a folder but an actual key value and was next to another key IE_5.

Once that was completed, he had me reboot the server. While the server was rebooting, he had me grab the latest 8.6 file at Make sure you grab the Install BENT v8.6 build 3878 file name bnt86i03_241035.exe dated Oct 23, 2001. After the server boots back up, install this, reboot if necessary, and then when the server comes back up, stop all the Backup Exec services. You can now copy the Catalog and Data folder you saved earlier over the newly installed ones and then copy the pvl.mdb file into the NT folder. Start your services and verify that 8.6 is running fine. Once that is completed, perform the 9.0 4454 build install. This worked for me.

Good luck on your endeavor.

I found this thread via Google when I ran in to my own problems installing Backup Exec 9.0 rev 4454 to a Windows 2003 Enterprise Server.

1: INSTALL 2: 3

Was what the last line of the install log showed. I assumed that was my error message but it wasn't. The real error message was found when i placed my cursor at the end of the log file and then searched on "failed" searching up. This is what came up: (XXXXXX = my server name)

02-11-2005,15:46:34 : InstallSQLAgentSecurity failed (XXXXXXX,LocalSystem,87).

Veritas says there are three reasons this error will come up.

CAUSES
1. The SERVER service isn't started or installed.
2. The computer you installed it to is a domain controller that is NOT the OPERATIONS MASTER.
3. You are installing to a Win 2000 Terminal Server in Application Mode.

FIXES
1. Start the SERVER service
2. Make the BackUp Exec server the OPERATIONS MASTER for the domain.
3. Place Terminal Server in REMOTE ADMIN mode.

Number 2 was my particular problem. I installed to a secondary Domain Controller that was not the operations master.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back