Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec 9.0 Remote agent slowness

Status
Not open for further replies.

ariddick

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2002
US
We had Backup Exec 8.6 backing up two other servers with remote agent just fine. I upgraded to 9.0, which also upgraded the remote agents. However, when backing up the remote agents, it backs up at a rate of 3-4MB/min and eventually stops progress for about 20 minute intervals. Has anyone seen this problem. I am certain there are not network issues. NICs are set on 100MB full duplex and anti-virus is shut down.

Thanks in advance

Try a local backup-to-disk folder backup for the same data which will bypass your tape device. In my case, there was a big discrepancy in throughput. Wound up upgrading the Scsi controller drivers for the SCSI HBA for the tape device. Throughput jumped back to normal high speeds.

One obvious thing to check, are you even using the remote agents? ON the remote servers, check Services in Windows for 'Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers' service. If it says 'Backup Exec Remote Agent for NT/2000' than you have the older version installed which won't work.

Update NIC drivers.

Also - are the remote servers NT servers??? If so did u reboot them after installing the new remote agent?? If not - Id say thast is where your problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back