Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec 8.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2008
US
Backup Exec 8.6 on Windows 2000 Terminal Server - external HP Ultrium 200gb drive.

Generally works beautifully. Backs up its local server, 2 remote servers, and about 5 remote computers - only the users' profile folders. One of which was mine, until I gave my computer a new name. Added it back to the existing nightly job with my new computer name, and now that is the only job that runs - log shows job complete, no errors, and it just hangs there. The tape doesn't eject and the rest of the job doesn't run - my new computer name begins with a 2 (my dell service tag #) which puts it at the top of that job. I removed my machine from that job and the backup completes sucessfully.

I cannot think of anything else on my pc (XP PRO), or the server that's changed other than the computer name. I've added other machines into the mix in the past with no problem. Does anyone have *any* idea? (I know what you're all going to say, but upgrading unfortunately is not an option at this time)

Thanks in advance for any ideas :)

Did you install a remote agent on your new workstation?

I didn't quite understand if you had removed your old workstation's name from the selection list and added the name of the new one, is that right?

One selection list for the job has all the servers and workstations listed, right?

No firewall on the XP workstation, right?

Regards,
David.

Thank you for reading my post!

The remote agent is present - I only renamed my computer, I did not get a new one. (and again the problem is that my computer is the only thing that gets backed up when I add it to the existing backup job)

Now that you mention it I did not remove the entry with the old computer name, I can certainly try that.

Yes, I updated the existing selection list for the nightly backup with my new computer name

All windows firewall stuff is disabled on this machine. Again, the only thing that's changed on this computer is the windows computer name.

I will try removing the old computer name from the backup job, but because the job gets completely through my computer and then hangs, I tend to think it's not an agent issue or a duplicate machine issue of some sort,

It knows the entire job isn't complete, because it doesn't eject the tape, it just never moves on to the next workstation. No error no alert no nuffin.

And when I removed my computer name from the selection list the entire backup completed normally. It's really bizarre if you ask me!

I was wondering if it could have anything to do with the fact that the computer name starts with a numeral instead of a letter. Ever heard of anything like that?

Thank you again for reading and responding to my post. If you have any other ideas I will try them!

Thank You!!

I don't know about the number thing, all our workstations and servers are alpha-numeric, always with an alpha character at the beginning.

Are you still in the same domain? Does your workstation show up on the domain list in BE? Is your old workstation still on the domain list in BE?

Can't think of anything else right know. I'm willing to bet it has to do with the name change thing though.

Regards,
David.

Hey, you know what, make a new test backup job that has only you and one or two of your files on the selection list. Run that dude and see what happens.

David.

I had not had any time to get back to this until today. I had tried renaming my workstation again, so it did not start with a numeral. Same problem.

What I did try next was UN-installing the W2K/XP agent - AND IT WORKED!

So I bet the old machine name was some how associated in the agent and hosing it up somehow - I will reinstall the agent later and I bet it will continue to work after that.

Just wanted to say thanks for trying to help! And maybe this info will help someone else down the line.

You're welcome, glad it finally was squared away.

Regards,
David.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back