Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec 8.6 Remote Agent Error & Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

cypheros

Technical User
Jul 9, 2003
GB
I hope one of you clever people can help me before I go completely insane!

For about 6-7 months now, we have been successfully backing up 5 remote servers (in different domains) to two tape drives in a single media server with Backup exec 8.6.

However, last week one of the servers failed during backup and the whole job just sat on "running" and backed up 0kb of data. When I then tried to access this server in the media server GUI the hourglass appeared and crashed Veritas.

I then reinstalled the remote agent on the offending server and tried the backup again. Still failing with no response.

I then made a breakthrough, by selecting the C$ & D$ drives off the server using the text only mode, and not the GUI (which still will not work and crashes Veritas), I managed to select the files I wanted off the server.

The backup job now runs but for the last 8 attempts it says that the Remote Agent is not present. (BUT IT IS!!!!) I have reinstalled it so many times and rebooted servers and set admin passwords, but it still fails.

Also, when I try and shutdown the Backup Exec services on the main media server, it just hangs and says that it cannot shut down the job engine and again crashes.

The veritas website was useless and as we have no support contract the phonecall was short and to the point. Sorry, Go Away.

Any help from you kind people would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back