Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec 8.6 Exchange Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

StackEngineer

Vendor
Mar 4, 2003
GB
Help!

We have just installed a new Exchange 2000 server (member server) into our domain and want to back it up using BE 8.6, which is installed on our DC.

I am logged in as the Veritas system account, which is a member of the domain admin group and the Exchange Server local admin group. I have installed Outlook 2000 as a MAPI client on the DC and also installed Exchange 2000 System Manager. The Veritas mailbox has been opened so it is active.

On the DC:

Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Veritas Backup Exec 8.6

I am then choosing to Install additional components. Choose to install on a remote computer. Add the license, which setup sees as Exchange Option. Also add the license for remote backup.

I choose the server to install the components to but when it comes to choosing the actual components the Exchange Option isn't listed, only the remote option is available. The Exchange Option isn't installed anywhere else on our network.

This is really annoying me now because I can't figure it out. Maybe I'm missing something as I'm not really familiar with Backup Exec - I normally use Arcserve.

Could it be that I have Outlook 2000 installed on the DC? I know Outlook 2000 and Exchange 2000 don't like being on the same machine due to MAPI differences, even though I only have the System Manager installed from Exchange.

Any help you can provide would be really appreciated.

Am I going about this the wrong way? I have checked Veritas's site and I'm pretty sure I'm doind it right - at least according to their White Paper on Backup Exec.

I know that was longwinded but I didn't want to leave anything out - I bet I have anyway though....DOH!!

Thanks

Stackengineer

You only need to install the remote agent on the Exchange server - so what is coming up is correct.

install the remote agent on the exchange server, make sure the service is started, then you should be able to browse to the server in the backup selection list and choose the exchange selections.

btw, the actual how to of this is all in the admin manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back