Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec. 8.5 Job Engine Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeritasUser

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2001
US
Veritas Users,
I am currently running BE 8.5 build 3572 with RC9 patch on windows 2000 standard server with Service Pack 1. And have an Exabyte 215M running in 210 emulation mode. My network consists of 4 windows 2000 servers, 2 novell servers and 5 linux servers. I have all the agents for SQL, novell, Win2000/NT, Linux and OFO. When I try to backup all the servers, the Backup Exec. job engine just fails. But if I backup each individual server by itself the backup seem to work fine.
In administrative tools --> even viewer --> I get a Service Control Error. Event ID 7031. The Backup Exec 8.x Job Engine service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.
I'm basically on a first name basis will all the front line and advance tech team members at Veritas. Has any one ever had a problem with the job engine failing, and not recieving any errors through the Veritas software?
Also, I know that on Veritas's HCL there is no list of the 215M. And Exabyte, being the wonderful people they are, told me that Veritas supported the 215M. Which is in fact not entirely true. Veritas supports the 210 and 220, not the 215M running in 210 emulation mode. Although, both Veritas and Exabyte do not think its a Hardware Compatability Issue.

Sincerely,
Another frustrated Veritas user!

May not the case with you, but I whenever I ran a full backup (rather than an INC) the job engine crashed with a similar error. Eventually I found the problem to be not enough free disk space on the backup server. When doing a full backup over several servers it seems BE needs a large amount of temporary disk space. Removing some of the older catalogue files freed up a large amount of space and now I have no more problems

Iain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back