Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec 12.5 and Exchange - very basic/noob question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingtmak

Technical User
Apr 5, 2006
CA
Is Backup Exec 12.5 Exchange-Aware out of the box(i.e. with NO Exchange Agent)?

Should I be able to see the information store without it?

It was my understanding this is the case and the Exchange Agent is only required if a granular backup/restore of the mailboxes is required.

- Jon

i used to run Backup Exec 11d and then i recently upgraded straight to Backup Exec 2010.
Both of these needed the Exchange Agent to backup the exchange information store (am running exchange 2007). Therefore I am sure that backup exec 12.5 is the same.

Thanks for the response! When you installed BE, did you have it running without the agent at any point?

I checked with a vendor and they had said that you could do backup of the Exchange Info store without the granularity that the Agent provides.
I also verified this on an SBS 2003 server (Exchange 2003) with BE 12.5 installed and could select the info store.

Maybe it's an Exchange 2007 limitation? But I have yet to come across any info confirming this.
I'm going to try a reinstall of backup exec on our Exch 2007 server this week to confirm. I'll post my results after.

- Jon

>SBS 2003 server (Exchange 2003) with BE 12.5

The SBS version of BE 12.5 includes the necessary Exchange Agent.

Non-SBS editions require you to purchase the Agent license

When your first install you have an eval license valid for I think 30 days which will enable you to back up everything (Exchange SQL etc). After that license has expired you need to puchase the agents to continue backing these applications up.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

confirmed that Veritas Backup Exec 9 on Exchange 2003 server doesn't need the exchange agent. lol.

- Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back