Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup exec 11d 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffinperth

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
AU
is there anyone on this forum using 11d yet?
we upgraded fron 9 to 11d, but cannot get mailboxes to restore.
have read the blurbs on other mailbox issues on other release, but none seem to pertain to our issue . . .

cheers

Do you see the mailboxes in restore selection or does the restore job fail

Are you using the continuous backup or "regular" backups?

The backup works, when i go to restore a mail message,
the Inbox is located in Username/Top of Inormation Store
and I can see individual messages

extract from backup to disk
Family Name: "Media created 26/02/2007 11:07:02 AM"
Backup of "\\MAIL\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group "
Backup set #1 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "test mail store"
Backup Method: Full - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
Microsoft Exchange Server Agent: Started
The option to enable the restore of individual items from the database backup was selected for this backup.
====================
extract from restore
Job ended: Tuesday, 27 February 2007 at 6:42:38 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.
Final error category: Resource Errors
====================

Hallo,

I have got the same problem with 11d. Backup is going well, but when i want to restore i only see 15 of the 80 mailboxes. we hat version 8.6.

where are you trying to restore to looks like you are trying it to another server?

Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.
Final error category: Resource Errors

also forgot are you using snapsot on the infomation store?

nifterz: - restoring to the same server.
what do you mean by 'snapshot' on IS ?

when you look through the restore does say snapshot then infomation store or just infomation store

BE does not support restore of single mail when using vss

We have also recently upgraded from 9 to 11d. I am now trying to verify that I can restore a mailbox, and when i go to restore, it is not showing me the backups that I have taken over the last 2 nights (one full, one incremental on mailboxes, one full on IS).

Anyone got any suggestions?

If you read through the Symantec BE forum you'll see that they're having massive problems with Exchange backups. Supposedly the legacy methods still work and GRT still has problems. After the 7170 release it was reported that GRT now works, though only for non SMTP mail (try explaining that one to the CEO as to why you can't restore his email).

Test everything well before you commit. Some things to watch for -
B2D of Exchange mailboxes may not be recoverable.
Exchange public folders may not be recoverable.
Test recovery of both SMTP and internal Exchange email.
Run ongoing tests - there have been reports of a working installation suddenly losing the abilty to restore some mailbox messages.
Check more than one user's mailbox. 100 mailboxses may be ok, but others may not be.

We still can't see mailboxes to restore with GRT for now ? I'm using Exchange 2k with BE11d and I can't see more than 12 out of ~ 70 mailboxes to restore...

Are your backup jobs completing successfully? Make sure by looking at the byte counts for the backup byte count then the verify byte count (if you have verify enabled).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back