Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec 10.d SLOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

abostonma7

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2007
US
I run Backup Exec 10.d with diffirential back up every day, every time it takes me 13 hours (wich is too long), although all data that was backed up about 230 GB. Also when I see the report it says that some directories takes more time, some less; some of them have different back up rate (from 20 MB/min to 200 MB/min). What could be the problem? Thanks in advance

IT could be a driver issue? What type of device are you backing up too?

Are they remote filesystems?
Exchange brick-level backups are painfully slow on 10d

If it is the backup device generally slow, try new BExec drivers, and try experimenting with different block sizes on the device settings.

I'm having the same problems and it is really bad for any restores... especially SQL database restores... I have the latest drivers and everything... but I cannot speed this thing up.

What do the slow folders contain? Folder such as teh Bad Mail folder on Exchange can take a long time if you do not clear them frequently because of the # of items it has to backup. The same goes for temp folders.

Are you backing up to take or disk?

Also, at the end of the job it gives me an error: The backup of the item is bad.

Still having a headache with that, although I can restore the data from this backup.

Have you done any of the SP or Hotfixes on the media server since you installed the agent? If so try uninstalling and reinstalling the agent... this fixed a speed issue for me.

Also you can try -

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Ntbackup\Backup Engine\Logical Disk Buffer Size -- the default value is 32; Change it to 64.
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Ntbackup\Backup Engine\Max Buffer Size -- the default value is 512; Change it to 1024.
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Ntbackup\Backup Engine\Max Num Tape Buffers -- the default value is 9; Change it to 16.

See if that helps any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back