Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup exchange mailboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylvie99

Technical User
Jul 9, 2003
DE
Hello,
in my daily mailbox backup I get the following message.
WARNING: File "\\EX1\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\?0587 A39F30557C1006DFD46C19EEAFA47B52A00AA9CA0693" is damaged.
This file can not be verified.
I can't find this mail. Has anyone an idea?

sylvie

There is generally no reason to backup the mailboxes. You should do an Information Store backup. It's the only backup that will help you in a disaster recovery. It also takes less time, less tape, and makes fewer connections to the server.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Contributing author Microsoft Exchange Server 2007: The Complete Reference

But if I want to restore several mails I have to backup the mailboxes. Sometimes i have to restore a mailbox or calendar.
sylvie

And how?
We use Backup Exec 10. I have heard that it is possible with release 11, to restore several mails out of information store.
sylvie

The problem wiht the recovey storage group is you have to restore the entire storage group to get the one email. If this is a 50GB SG then you will have to spend considerable amount of time to get the info back. In BEWS 11 and 12 you will only need to backup the IS and be able to restore individual mailboxes or calendar items.

Yes, but if your environment is properly configured, the number of times you'd even have to restore items from backup is greatly reduced.

I don't think I've restored something from backup in Exchange for years. I think since Exchange 2000.

Deleted Item Retention Time (DIRT) and Deleted Mailbox Retention settings are your friends. So is the Recovery Storage Group.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Contributing author Microsoft Exchange Server 2007: The Complete Reference

Indiv item level restore should be done by users using the Recover Deleted Items (you allow this with DIRT).

Store level backup is for really old restores or DR purposes.

I've also not using BE to restore for a long time. It might have been 2000 but I can't recall...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back