Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinkys

Programmer
Sep 11, 2003
GB
Hi there

I am using the backup switch to append errors from an input card to file. The problem being is that we read these messages from a channel and they don't have a <NL> at the end so the backup file created/appened is just one long line instead of one line per message. We don't have control over the input so any ideas how I can do this? I don't really want to write a sepearte uniquw file for each error.

Why not add a NL to the end of each record.

We don't have control over the input

You don't need to, Add the NL to the output record.

The backup option for an input does not allow any manipulation of the data. It is the raw data from the adaptor.
The question is, how many errors are you getting? What version of DataStage TX are you using? Is the map multi-threaded?
Do you have backup set to on error? If you point the file to a directory for error files only, you could have a map read this in as a text blob and rename it with a timestamp and send it to an error handling system (and delete the original file).

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

Does the back-up feature use RAM? For instance, say we have a 500mb file and we just want to pass it to a folder. Does it use less resources to use the back-up feature or simply set the output card to the directory?

Depends on the source of the data. StreamMaxMemLimit setting to 20 meg. would help. Send file as a text blob uses less RAM than working with the data, work area should be file to.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back