Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup email to cd-r in OE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shale00

Technical User
Dec 5, 2001
GB
Hi

Is it possible to backup the email .dbx files to cd-r and reinstall them , according to MS knowledge base it is not.
To wit:

SYMPTOMS

When you attempt to import messages into Microsoft Outlook Express, you may receive the following error message:
No messages can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required files open. Please select another folder or try closing applications that may have files open.
In addition, Outlook Express may not recognize .dbx files you copy into the currently specified message store location, even after you rename the Folders.dbx file.
CAUSE
This behavior can occur if the files that you try to import have the read-only attribute set.

The read-only attribute can be set if you copy the .dbx files to a CD-ROM by using a CD-R or CD-RW device.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, copy the files to a writable disk (for example, a floppy disk or hard disk), and remove the read-only attribute from the file's properties. You should then be able to import the files by using the Outlook Express import feature.

In addition to the possibility the files are read-only, ensure the Folders.dbx file is present. The import process may not work without a valid Folders.dbx file. If the Folders.dbx file is absent, exit and restart Outlook Express to recreate this file.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks

Have you tried it???? Try copying the files from the CD-ROM to your store location, and then after you copy them to there, then right click and go to Properties, and untick the box for read only.

I cant see how this should work if the files are copied correctly.

Also, you may want to try copying them to your C:\ or any other folder than the store location, make it not read only, then copy them into your store folder.... Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

Deja vu here.

It works fine. I do it every week! The backup that is. I export the addresses to a text file first and I've made the OE data directory something a bit more accessible, like c:\mail. Close OE before to do backup/restore.
Peter Meachem
peter@accuflight.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back