Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Email Content when Email address is a non-iCloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
At work, we use iPhones currently. We do not have Exchange, but use MS Outlook on desktops, and then get same mail delivered over POP to iPhone's Mail app. The iCloud backup settings seems to only backup email that's associated with an iCloud email address which doesn't work for a business email address.

Has anyone had any great success backing up email content from an iPhone when the email address is not an iCloud address? That's one headache I've run into so far. To get iTunes to do the backup for me, it seems like I have to disable iCloud backups.

It's not a big deal, but a similar question made me think about it.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

You should use IMAP on your iphones and then all items (Inbox/Sent/Trash) will sync with the Outlook account and then it will be backed up on the email server you are using. Assuming they bother to backup - it's not in your direct control though if you aren't hosting the email.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

That sounds ideal, yes, to use IMAP. However, it's not supported/allowed at the company level. Previously, they used IMAP across the board, but for whatever reason, they changed to POP. The email provider controls whether POP or IMAP is allowed, so it's basically not possible. It's all or none on POP vs IMAP, and not user configurable.

It's not a big deal, but it'd be nice, b/c I'm sure I will at some point wipe the phone or replace with a newer phone, and when I do the backup, all old email on phone will be gone. Everyone else here is fine with it, so it's not a make or break issue, just annoying to me. Crazy to me that iCloud will back up email, but ONLY email that's associated with an @icloud.com address.

Thanks for the thought.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

At this point in time how are they NOT supporting IMAP. Wow.

I wish I could remember the reason I was told (if I was told a reason). My guess is that some folk's inboxes are just so large that perhaps they were running into some hard discussions with the email provider (3rd party local business). It may be something worth reviewing to see if we're using the best option down the road.

Well - a company is supposed to have mailbox size limits imposed so that this type of thing doesn't get out of hand no matter if you are hosting your own email or having it outsourced. Because there's always those pigs that think they have unlimited storage, send large attachments frequently, have all their employees CC: them on every message (including when they're going on a bathroom break) and believe that they get to get email forever.

I'm still a bit bitter from my days as a GroupWise email system administrator. I wanted to beat some people when looking at their mailbox size!!!

Yeah, I've been rather shocked on email size when I came to this current company. We do have some ideas on greatly reducing mailbox sizes, but since it's been a problem for YEARS, it's got to be a well planned and thought out project. Then (if size is the only reason - I honestly do not remember), we can seriously at least put the step in direction of looking at using IMAP. If I am able to serious dig into this item in the next few months, and remember, I may come back and post an update on that piece.

All that said, it doesn't provide what I really want here: that is a way to backup email through iCloud (or separately to iTunes while still using iCloud). I know you can supposedly backup email content to iTunes if you turn off iCloud, but I want to use iCloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back