Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup drive unreadable

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediwarrior

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2004
US
Hi all,
I have a question for you, I had a pc that used WinXP, and I got rid of it for a new pc and it has Windows7 on it. the problem i am having is that on the old computer, I used an external Hard drive which worked just fine.
Now with Windows7 I am having problems reading the backup HD. All I see now are these weird symbols which make no sense at all. Is there a fix for this? Does Windows7 just not able to read from XP?

That's not a lot to go on.

Is the drive an external USB drive?
If it is have you tried removing it from the enclosure and installing it directly into the machine?

How was the drive formatted?

If NTFS does the new 7 machine have the appropriate permissions to access the drive.

Was the drive encrypted or compressed in any way?

Have you run a chkdsk on the HD make sure its still functional?

How was the data backed up to it?

do you get any errors when trying to read from it?

You say you get weird symbols; where do you see them? In the file names? Inside the files themselves?

Gives a little more information and we may be able top help.

and FYI, Windows 7 should have no problem reading files from XP. But on NTFS formatted drives permissions may be an issue.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back