Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Client Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotta98

Technical User
Apr 16, 2004
Hi Guys,

Even though I'm not a professional, I manage a small network at work. I have 12 xp sp2 workstations, an exchange server (EX2K3 sp2 on W2K3 Server), a W2K3 file server, a Fedora Core 5 web server networked to the AD with SAMBA and an older server that I have dubbed a backup.

I currently have backup exec 10d and a DDS4 tape drive but no exchange client yet for individual mailboxes. I was wondering if there are any open source backup solutions that you could recommend?

Ideally, it would reside on one of the windows servers, have a good GUI and be reliable but low extra features. In other words, I want to have an easy way to set it and then forget it.

Is this too much to ask? Thanks in advance to any and all.

You could use the built-in NT backup on the Exchange server to backup the Information Store to a file, then use BackupExec to backup that file to tape. Recovery would take a bit longer since you would have to do 2 restores (restore the file from tape then restore the IS from the file) but it would get you by. The NT backup can be easily scripted and scheduled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back