Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Browser is stopping ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicocouk

MIS
Aug 19, 2002
GB
Massive problems on site with browse lists. Basically they are intermittently disappearing and i don't know why. Had two 2k servers, one a dc, the other a member, getting the following error on the member server

The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{A8F3CCA3-DA8B-4641-B17B-A6C60BA79C82}. The backup browser is stopping.

After this, all shares go kaput. Before this we get a similar error

The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master \\OUR_MAIN_SERVER_NAME on the network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{A8F3CCA3-DA8B-4641-B17B-A6C60BA79C82}. The data is the error code.

Any ideas what to try with this? This is currently causing massive problems on site ...

Thanks for that, i was posting in a hurry, I should really have given more info.

The main DC is multihomed, in the sense that it has two nics, and is running ISA server. The second nic is connected to an adsl router, and out to the internet. It's also running terminal services, but file and print sharing is not bound to that nic. The member server only has one nic. We've now promoted the member server to a dc with DCPROMO, and transferred the PDC FSMO role to that secondary server, and added those registry keys as per that microsoft article.

That was what we were just trying as I posted my query, but I'm not convinced this is going to work, and was hoping someone else might have come across and resolved this issue before now.

I can't seem to figure out whether the second nic in the DC that goes to the internet is going to cause a problem or not.

Unfortunately we have a LOT of sites that are, or will be, configured like this, ie, in the hundreds, so it is vital that we get this right. We can't remove the second nic from the DC, as most of these sites will have only one DC, one server, and it will be running ISA server, and functioning as a router to the internet.

I realise this isn't an ideal setup, but is purely driven by budgets and the money men

If anyone has got around this I'd love to hear from them, this is potentially a bit of a show stopper for us.

Thanks for the thoughts, appreciated

:)

Sorry to bump this, but it's massively important to us, and nothing we've tried has sorted it out

Any thoughts anyone? Please?

:(

I would stop the multi-homed DC from acting as a browse master completely and let the other DC\server handle the job.

We've actually now tried this, by transferring the PDC FSMO roles to the single nic DC, and then setting the appropriate registry keys in Q191611. Still getting the same problem unfortunately, which leads me to believe the multi-homing isn't actually the problem

Any other ideas GREATLY appreciated

transferring the FSMO PDC role does not stop a server from acting as a browser, it only stops it from vying for the role of Domain Master Browser if another one is available. You need to edit these registry entries on the multihomed DC :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters\MaintainServerList
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters\IsDomainMaster

the first entry should be set to NO, the second should be set to FALSE.

I agree, you're totally on the right lines, that's the keys we have changed, however, these registry entries do not take effect if you change them on a machine which is the PDC FSMO for the domain. That is why we transferred the roles before making these registry entries. For full info on this, see the bottom of Q191611, here:

To summarize, here's a quick snippet -

"use Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe) to edit the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters\MaintainServerList
Change the value of this key to false, quit Registry Editor, and then restart your computer.

NOTE: In Windows 2000, instead of the value false, use the value, no. To encourage singlehomed computers to become the browser servers, use Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe) to edit the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters\IsDomainMaster
Change the value of this key to yes, quit Registry Editor, and then restart your computer.

NOTE: The registry settings in this article do not work on a Windows 2000 DC if it is the PDC emulator."

I thought this would tidy the problem away, but it has not had any effect.

I'd more that welcome any further thoughts

I have ran into this problem before. I removed the wins servers from the domain. (win2k are not needed) and the error went away. The only difference is that the enoviroment i was working on was a mixed mode with a nt4 bdc. Try removing wins and make sure you have dhcp setup correctly to add the suffix to the workstations or they wont resolve anything.

Me

We have 95/98 and 2k pro client machines, if I remove wins from the domain, will the 9x clients still be able to browse?

Thanks

YES they can still browse As long as you have dns and dhcp setup correctly. When you open network Neiborhood it sends out a broadcast for MB. so the DC will still respond. If wins is envolved it will not do that. I have not had wins in my enviroment for quite some time now. Just enable dhcp to update dns when legacy clients request and ip address. and then you should be fine.

Never hurts to try right !

Daphat
A+ Net+ Inet+ MCSA MCSE CCA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back