Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup BES to Install on New Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJCopa

Technical User
Aug 7, 2003
GB
Hello - Hope you can help.

Our current setup is as follows:

We have 2 companies accessing 1 Blackberry Enterprise Server. 1 company is moving out, and taking the BES software (4.0.7.8) with them (it is licensed to them).
We will be purcasing another install of BES, but would like to keep disruption down to a minimum - What should we take a copy of, so that the new install can recognise the PIN numbers,etc. of staff who are staying?

Thanks for any help offered.

Darren.

Install a new server next to it with the new SRP and so on. Then you migrate the users to the new server.

Once the users are split correctly, down the existing server and give it away.

Thanks for the reply - Hoped it may be this easy (well, time will tell) - Excellent!

You will need to create a new SQL database if the other company are taking the BES with them. So essentially a fresh install. Therefore you will need to reactivate the devices you are keeping.

To minimise disruption you can backup the user data from each device first, then restore and activate after wiping the device.

Regards
jpaf

Thanks jpaf.

I've purchased the new BES software, so essentially fresh install on new server. So I still migrate all users across, but this these will need to re-activated - This is the part I was hoping to get around.
Is wiping the device essenetial - Will new settings not just overwrite old?

Apologies if these are stupid questions, but have not migrated BES data before, and am trying to create a plan with minimal disruption.

Cheers.

Thanks for the super quick response jpaf.

That is a very handy link, and one I should have looked for.

Thanks Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back