Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BACKUP BEFORE YOU MESS UP

Status
Not open for further replies.

labninja

MIS
Jan 18, 2000
ZA
I need to backup Echange Imformation Stores accross a network (Cuase there is no backup drive on the server), using Seagte Backup software without the Exchange agent. Does anybody know if it is enough to backup the dsadata, mdbdata and imcdata directories and is the restore process as simple as putting them back.<br><br>Thanx<br>LabNinja

Check your logs after backup, most likley the most important files are being skipped because they are open when the backup runs. That is what the exchange agent does. If you are running a large post office or allow most mailboxes to keep mail in the Private.edb don't trust a backup that does not proplerly back up these files. You could run a batch file using the &quot;net stop command&quot; before running the backup then run the &quot;net start command&quot; after check syntax &quot;net stop ?&quot; from the command line. <p>Steve Bowman<br><a href=mailto:steve.bowman@wayservices.com>steve.bowman@wayservices.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Thanx for the response Steve<br><br>I have stopped all the Exchange services and did a backup of all the mdbdata, dsadata and imcdata directories. Do I also need a backup of the private.edb?

yes Public.edb and Private.edb make up the Information Store<br>this is where all mailbox folder information is kept, in other words without these 2 databases there is no mail. This is where Exchange stores ALL the mail you loose them and everyone looses their mail unless you use local pst files and set all mailboxes to deliver to the local file this only deals with private.edb NOT public.edb (&quot;Public Folders&quot;) <p>Steve Bowman<br><a href=mailto:steve.bowman@wayservices.com>steve.bowman@wayservices.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

....I presume that you are running with circular logging enabled?? if not you will soon get an nasty suprise!!! Veritas Backup Exec Exchange option will clear the archive bit, which in effect, will modify the checkpoint, giving the last time a successful backup was made and at which point the priv was consistent....otherwise the log space will keep being eaten until the server pops its clogs.<br><br>eseutil /mk edb.log ¦ more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back