Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup-Battery Cache Serial Mismatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karactur

Technical User
Jul 31, 2003
CA
I need a hand solving an issue with a new cluster configuration on my 2 xSeries Servers. Heres the situation...
2 xSeries Servers (250 & 255)
Each have ServeRaid-4Mx SCSI cards BIOS v. 6.1.24
Each Channel connected to 2x EXP300 Storage units.

I am configuring 2x RAID 1E0 Arrays that span across both EXP300 units, configured as "Write Through". 1x RAID 1 that also spans the 2 units, also "Write Through". The initial configuration goes well, and if left alone, would be a fine array set. However, I configure the new drives for Clustering and set the ID=7 on both channels.

Here comes the problem.[mad]

I shut down the initial Server where the Arrays were configured, and begin bringing up the second server. The instructions to setup clusters indicate that I now have to load the configuration from the disks. As I do so, I get an error stating that the "Battery-Backup cache data cannot be written to the Physical drives" Configured Serial number does not match the installed serial number.

If I accept and allow the drives to reconfigure the serial number, the initial server configuration fails on the first server. All Drives and Arrays become defunct. The second server can see the Arrays it just loaded fine.

This was not the first time I have setup Clusters on these servers, however, this is the first time this Battery-Backup Cache issue has come up to mess with me.

If anyone has advice or a workaround solution, please let me know, I'd be greatly Thankfull for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back