Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup and Anti virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOFH1

Technical User
Jan 3, 2004
GB
As we are about to make a big move from Nt4 to 2003 we are also considering other backup and anti virus options.
We currently have 6 servers and 300 client PC's and use Symantec corporate edition anti virus and Veritas backup for the obvious.

Anyone have experience with alternatives eg Sophos and Arcserv, as these are two options that I am thinking about.

We currently have 3 tape drives and use 3 Veritas remote agents to backup the other 3 servers, does Arcserv have this function?

Thanks for any input.

My company currently uses McAfee Anti-virus, however, we are migrating to Trend Micro PC-Cillin for the destop users and Trend Micro's Server Protect for the servers. Trend Micro has fister virus scanning times and updates itself more than Mcafee or Norton does. I recommend Trend Micro above any other.

I do not know what you should use for backing up your systems. We do not backup each and every computer, instead, the users have a mapped network drive where they store all of their information and that is backed up nightly on a 100gb tape drive. I am really not sure what software we use for the tape drive.

Yes our users save their work to a mapped drive as well. But we have 2 servers with 100gb tape drives and 2 without any tape, at the moment we use the Veritas remote agent and this backs up the remote server and sends the files to a server with a tape drive on to be backed up. Great piece of software i was just wondering if Arcserve had this too.

Thanks for the AV tip tho i'll look into trend, does it have centralised management eg you can update a master server then the stations receive their updates from that internal server, as we have 400 stations and it's alot of bandwidth used if they all download from the internet.

Thanks.

I've used both Sophos and more recently, Trend Micro Client/Server/Messaging Suite. Both are very good, with Trend being a bit more "hands-off." Cost advantage certainly goes to Trend.

Sophos is also top notch but a little pricier. Never, ever had a compatibility or performance issue with it. Major plus is you can distribute it to your users for use at home. In addition to the real time downloads, its also nice to get the monthly update CD just to have that available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back