Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Agent Error - (78)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmcdal

Technical User
Jan 3, 2003
GB
I have a SQL Server 7 installation with Service Pack 4 applied. After installation of SQL Backup Agent, I get the following error message from a backup - Backup Agent Error - (78) "Can not open a service". Both Arcserve 2000 and the SQL Backup Agent are at Service Pack 4. Looking in the registry, it seems that Arcserve thinks that I have SQL Server 2000 installed.

This usually happens if you previously had a copy of SQL 2000 installed on the machine. The uninstaller for SQL 2000 does not clean up the registry completely. The SQL agent installer uses the registry to determine what version of SQL you have installed. If it finds SQL 2000 keys, then it will assume you have this version. You'll need to remove the SQL 2000 keys from the registry and reinstall the agnet.

Many thanks for the resolution. I found a SQL Server 2000 key in the registry and deleted it. After re-installing SQL Backup Agent, everything now okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back