Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup a growing number of servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wimvh

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2006
BE
Hi,

Currently we are using 1 dedicated backup server running Veritas BackupExec 9.1 to backup about 50 Windows servers (a mixed environment of NT4 - 2000 - 2003 servers, the most important server applications being SQL2000 and Domino).

The backup server has got 1 AIT35 drive, a Compaq SSL2020 library with 2 AIT50 drives and 1 Sony S-AIT 500 drive.

Until now, we manage to perform daily full backups over the LAN (no dedicated backup network yet).

A couple of months from now, we expect to receive 4 additional SQL servers, 2 additional Domino servers and a number of Citrix servers (consolidation into 1 data center). I'm afraid that 1 dedicated backup server without a dedicated backup network will not be sufficient anymore.

Any suggestions on how to upsize our backup solution?

Thank you.

Well I guess the real question will be how are these new server going to put onto the network. Will they have direct attached storage for the SQL databse or SAN?

How much data to you expect to backup once the servers are in place and 6 months down the road once the server are installed

Will this execeed you backup windows or what backup window are you looking at.

You could get a fiber attached library and add another media server so that you have two media server sharing a library with 2 or more tape drives in the library. This would cut down on the time window for the backup

Steveot,

Thanks for your input.

The current (and future) SQL servers are MS Clusters with fibre SAN.
In the past we used SQL maintenance plans to create BAK and TRN files on disk, which were then backed up to tape. Last year we replaced the maintenance plan backup by Redgate backup (nice compression and improved support for logshipping). This decreased the backup window.

I guess my question boils down to "Can I go for the approach I hope for: adding a second Veritas BackupExec Media Server and some tape devices?". Or in other words: can I stick with trusty BackupExec or do I need to switch to another product when backing up approx. 60 servers (800 GB)?

Thanks.

BE should do it - we're backing up 2.5 TB with it. You just need the SSO (san shared storage option) running on each cluster node and the media server to be on the fabric - its the primary SSO server that holds the config db. Our LTO3 tapes hold 800GB compressed and you can use a drive pool to go over one tape seamlessly without having to split the backup into multiple jobs.

Umbletech,

Thanks for your reply.
After the conslidation, there will be 6 seperate fibre channel clusters. Does your scenario still apply then?

Thanks,
Wim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back