Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup = 1 hour, restore = > 24h ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevoke

Programmer
Jun 6, 2002
US
I use Backup Exec 8.5 on a Netware 5.11 server + backup server.

I used to have a set of HP DD3 tape drives and recently replaced them by Quantum DD4 drives (STD6401LW) which also get identified as Seagate 9SP40 by the Adaptec controller.

The backup goes fine, from about midnight to 1:15am, but the restore, well, I tried for the first time yesterday and it wasn't finished this morning..

Any ideas why the restore could be so slow?

"That time in Seattle... was a nightmare. I came out of it dead broke, without a house, without anything except a girlfriend and a knowledge of UNIX."
"Well, that's something," Avi says. "Normally those two are mutually exclusive."
-- Neal Stephenson, "Cryptonomicon"

Hi

I had one of those drives until it crapped out om me...I was having all kinds of problems with shoe-shining...

It was going to take 5 hours to backup 20 Gb

I tried everything and then gave up.

I got a SLDT 320...and had the same shoe shining problem until I used the Adaptec drivers..perhaps it is a driver issue ?

Have you tried to use Adaptec drivers over the Micrrosoft ones ?

Once the correct drivers were used, the problem went away.

Hope that helps

Bill

I couldn't find any other drivers for the take backup.
Remember I'm on Novell Netware 5.11 :)

Where did you find yours?

"That time in Seattle... was a nightmare. I came out of it dead broke, without a house, without anything except a girlfriend and a knowledge of UNIX."
"Well, that's something," Avi says. "Normally those two are mutually exclusive."
-- Neal Stephenson, "Cryptonomicon"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back