Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up users Mailboxes . . . Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkman

MIS
Aug 18, 1999
US
I would like a user friendly and quick backup that users can use to save there inbox, contacts, deleted items etc,.

The import/export util that ships with outlook 2K stinks.

I do a complete backup of the information store and the log files daily but restoring a single users mailbox is like trying to get a law passed through congress.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Pinkman MCSE, CCA

Use Backup Exec with the Exchange connector which gives the option to restore single emails.

I understood with backupexec you still had to create a mirror Exchange setup on another computer. We have backupexec with exchange option. Can you restore just one mailbox to an existing server?

Thank you.

Tom J

Backup Exec with the Exchange Option will restore a single mailbox - I've had to do it.

The Arcserve "Bricks Level" backup takes a wack more space than the normal online .edb backup. You might want to test it before you throw any money at it.

exchange also has a deleted items retention policy that you can set really long so you don't run into this problem as often.

BE with the agent actually allows you to restore a single email!

It takes up more room than a straight copy of the edb files. edb files contain one copy of each attachment / email which can be expanded to multiple users. BE actually logs into each users mail and dumps the lot to tape and therefore essentially duplicates the multiple copies.

My backup runs at about 30% more than the edb files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back