Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing Up the site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fujiko

Programmer
Dec 23, 2001
PH
hi! im just a newbie with frontpage, im wondering, is there a way to back up all the site without using an FTP client, like by just going through frontpage and click on file ->open web, to show me my current website as well as the structure. Is there a way to get them all saved on my hard drive without going through each link and use "save as" thing? thanks in advance :)

Hi Fujiko,

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to backup a published site to your hard drive?

To use the following method, the Frontpage Server Extensions must be installed on the server.

First, I would create a folder e.g. nameofweb2 or something along those lines. Not sure where yours are, but mine are located in MyDocuments\MyWebs

Now Open Frontpage

Go to File >> Open

Now type your web address in the textbox normally reserved for the page name.

In many cases, it would be In some, you will need to use the well.

Once the live web is open, open any page. Now go to File >> Publish Web. Instead of using the internet address, use Browse to locate the folder you just created. Unless the server times out because of the web size, this should be the end of it. If the server times out, attempt publishing again.

You could also copy the files from your current folder to another folder on your drive, if you simply want a copy of the web folder itself.

This could be copied as well to CD for later copying and pasting to your hard drive.

Hope I have been of some help,
Micheal

FrontPage Form Tutorials & Form Script Examples

that makes sense :) thanks a lot micheal!! ill try that one right now! thanks again. Frontpage is very new to me, i dont have problems with designs and stuff since i am familiar with html handcoding, but on publishing, and backing files up, i never used frontpage... thanks a lot

ei micheal, sorry to bug you again.. but i have a slight problem... publish web is grayed out when i open the site, i cannot click on publish web.. what do u think? i tried playing around like editing something, but its still grayedout.

Hi Fujiko,

You have your site open live? or something else?

Most of the time I hear about publish web being greyed out is a result of not actually having a web open.

Tell me more.

If there is a problem with extensions, this could maybe cause this, but this is just a guess on my part.

If the current updated web is on your hard drive, then you might reinstall the extensions on the server, publish from your PC to the web and then open live and publish down to file.

Hope I have been of some help,
Micheal

FrontPage Form Tutorials & Form Script Examples

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back