Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backing up the running-config over the terminal port 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

butler

MIS
Oct 12, 1998
US
Greetings group,

You would think that this would be a snap but I just can't make it work. I am trying to backup a Cisco 1700 router config and ISO to a PC directly connected to the consel on the router.

I tried

copy flash xmodem

among other things with no success. Please Help!

Thanks
--bill

not familiar with the 1700's, but don't you have to specify the filenames?

-Mike

I am almost certain you can not go in that direction "copy flash xmodem" - In my experience the only time a xmodem has been used is in last ditch situations where the router is in ROMmon mode and you need to recover an IOS image to the router and in that case it would be "copy xmodem flash"

Is there a reason your not using TFTP ?

Butler do not have enable right or RW community string, I think. :)

Simon Yu
CCNP

Hi

Save the config to a tftp server with 'copy running-config tftp', or 'copy startup-config tftp'. To do this you will need to install a tftp server on a PC connected to one of the other interfaces of the router.
There is a free tftp server available on
Also you can set up text capture on your hyperterminal, then do a show run. The capture will put the output into a file where it can be saved. This is the only way I know of doing this via the console port.

You cannot save an IOS from a router/switch using Xmodem, only copy an IOS onto the box, nor am I aware of any other way to save the IOS via the console. If you want to save your IOS use 'copy flash tftp'.

Check for further information.

EB

"The most powerful command you will ever use is rtfm"
EB

Thanks everyone,

No transfer over a simple serial connection? Oh well, more work for me...

:(

Copy the entire config file you have saved in your notepad, go to the configuration terminal prompt of your router, rick click with the mouse and click on "Paste to Host".

Bada Bing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back