Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up SQL Databases with Agent 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahanes

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2002
US
Can you backup a server running a SQL database with the SQL agent and then have it run through the NT/2000 Client agent?
I thought i read somewhere that you had to use the network
select option if you were running a database agent on the remote box. Thanks in advance

Keep in mind that that the NT/2000 agent and the SQL database agent are two completely different options that can be used separately. The NT/2000 agent takes care of the operating system NT or 2000 with capabilities of backing up Windows specific features as the Registry, the System State and the Active Directory. The SQL agent acts as a go-between between ARCserve and SQL and uses SQL's own dump database functionality to backup and restore single databases/transaction logs while SQL is up and running.
It is just the way you browse the agent in ARCserve's source view thats shows SQL and it's databases from the NT/2000 agent ( if installed )view or from the network.

Hope I'm clear

regards

Cyklops

I'm running Arcserve 2000 on a W2k server. I have SQL agent and Client agent installed on my SQL2000 server. I had just the SQL agent installed but everyday my backup job was still running which I then had to cancel. After installing the Client Agent the backup jobs on the databases completed successflly but I do get errors in the logs " AW0000 skip invalid shares or volume DABSQL@MSSQLServer Arcserve for Windows 2000 - Backup. I have not fixed this problem yet but at least the most important thing is that the SQL databases are backing up.

u can backup sql thru the network and thru nt client agent. but client agent for nt should be configured using named resolution..
thanks Happiness is a daily decision

After upgrading to SQL 2000 I am now getting this message too:

AW0000 skip invalid shares or volume DABSQL@MSSQLServer Arcserve for Windows 2000 - Backup

Can you explain what it really means so I can attempt to correct it?

Thanks,
k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back