Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backing up server 2000 and exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcrandell

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2003
US
Hi all, can anyone tell me what files to backup if I have a advanced server 2000 and exchange box? what do I really need to restore the whole box if I have hard drive failures and had to buy two new drives?

dan

Dan Crandell

Hi I'm not really sure regarding advanced server backups (I don’t work on them).

Actually I'm backing-up all the system folders winnt included, practically I'm backing-up the entire c:\ drive excluding the directories that contains only data.
I've included also the System State to the backup!
Is also useful create and update Emergency Repair Disks for your servers, just in case windows wont be able to start!

For exchange I'm backing-up the entire Mailbox Information Store (I've got only one) plus I make a copy of the Mailbox folder and Public Folder (just in case I need to restore a single mailbox).

I'm also performing my server backups regularly just to be sure that my backups doesn't exceed the active directory tombstone.

This is how I'm performing my backups I'm not really sure regarding their efficiency (never had a disaster up to now!) and any comment or suggestion will be appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back