Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backing up S8300 - G700 (other than FTP) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MenaceEnnis

Technical User
Mar 4, 2004
IE
Hi ,
Customer of ours is asking for a backup solution other than FTP ( as the customer deems it unsecure / unpractical / ...). Can we use a DLT tape, drag the files to an normal ;o} file server on which we can stick a DLT drive

Cheers

MenaceEnnis,

there are two supported ways to backup s8300 config: either using ftp or by e-mail. the backup itself is essentially a set of tar'ed and gzip'ed files that you can ftp to some server and then write them on dlt tape, dvd recorder or whatever you wish. note that the primary purpose of s8300 is to act as local survivable processor for a large distributed system. and the main server options, both s8500 and s8700, support flash disks for backup. i agree that this is a bit non-logical, but that's the way it is.

p.s. theoretically, one can set up nfs or even samba on the underlying linux system, but that would definitely require some hacking to get root access. i'm not a lawyer but i think that would also violate one's warranty on the switch.

Do you already seen a S8300??? I don't think so because where do you think we can put a tape :).
Backup is made on the hard drive and can be schedule for ftp and email.

Thanks ,
Email it is then , any Idea about the file sizes ..

Cheers D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back