Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up Merlin Messaging system - where do I put the card? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

LePivert

IS-IT--Management
Jun 8, 2010
US
I know how to perform a system backup (go into "System Administration", then select option 8).

But what happens after that?

It looks like backup is stored on a card that is inserted into the module.

But what card?

It looks like there are two and I was not going to be pulling them out to take a look:

So which card is it?

And should the card be stored elsewhere?

Let's say there was a fire, not a big one, but just enough to fry the module... and the backup card.

That wouldn't make a great deal of sense, would it (to keep the card inserted)? It would be like leaving (all) the backup tapes on top of the server.

By the way, when I perform a backup, I have to assume that what is being backed up is all our configuration information, plus extensions, greetings, etc. What about voice mail messages?

What, exactly, ends up on that card?

Many thanks in advance!!!

The module on the left (the processor) has the card that backs up the programming. This backs up all system programming Excluding voicemail. The voicemail module has its own backup card. If you dial into the voicemail as administrator you can backup the configuration, but it won't backup voicemails stored in users mailboxs or greetings. It just backs up the configuration of the voicemail (mailbox's, attendant menus, etc).

You can remove the processor back up card and bring to another site for safe keeping, but the voicemail backup also doubles as the port license card and cannot be removed or else voicemail will stop working.

If you have winspm on a pc, you can back up the system programming onto your pc versus the pcmcia card in the processor.

OK, so the card on the left backs up programming and COULD be removed but...

the card for voicemail (on the right?) cannot be removed?

Otherwise, we DO have WinSPM and backing up to that would allow me to save configuration to a flash drive and store in a safe offsite (for example).

BTW, are "programming" and "configuration" the same thing here?

Everything I would need to reconfigure the system would be on that card, minus voicemail (lack of which we could handle in a worst case scenario)???

Yes & yes, for the most part the terms, programming and configuring, are used interchangeably. The Legend processor can be scheduled to do a regular backup to the PCMCIA card. You can also save a "print" version of the system as text files of the whole system or individual items, like stations, ISDN, calling groups, lines, etc. All of this stuff is covered in the documentation.

What is your link suppose to do? All I get is a constant page loading that never ends! Like it is stuck in a loop.

....JIM....

My link?

It's supposed to be an image posted on Windows Live, SkyDrive.

An image of my Merlin modules so people could see where the cards are situated.

I would not recommend removal of the PROCESSOR PCMCIA Card.

If you have things set up correctly, that should be being used for an automatic backup each week. (I DO NOT RECOMMEND DAILY BACK UP)

Therefore, it keeps track of ALL PROGRAM CHANGES MADE during the week, and if something happens, it can be used to restore the system programming.

-merlinmansblog.blogspot.com

So, what release of Merlin Messaging? 2.5 and higher, you can download the LAN gui from Avaua, and backup to your PC (including messages if you want), and store off-site.

LAN GUI?

Do you mean WinSPM?

If so, I've installed that.

Otherwise, thanks to all for your clarifications.

No, there is an actual Ethernet port on the Messaging 2.5 and higher; you log in through the serial port to set the IP address, then put it on your network, or set a static IP on your computer and use a cross over cable. But you must download the correct release of GUI from the Avaya support site to be able to program and backup the Messaging system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back