Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up mapped drive on Networker 7.3.2? Losing my mind on this!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nykotai

Programmer
Oct 7, 2003
US
Hi All,

I m having some issues backing up a some files of a samba server using networker 7.3.2
Here is the setup/scenario:
- Files reside on linux samba server
- Client and server Networker (both 7.3.2) are on the same machine running Win2k3
- I can backup the files on the mapped samba server using manual backup
- When trying to run scheduled backup i get the following errors:
a) In the case where i do not specify the remote username and password i get a "no such file or directory" error when running specified schedule
b) When i specify the the remote username and password i get a "probe job had unrecoverable failure(s)" error
- When running scheduled backup with a non mapped drive (i.e: C\test) everything works just fine.

Note: I m aware that i have to use UNC path to specify mapped folder and am using it ... still to no avail.

After doing some reading online here what i have tried so far and has not worked:
-As specified above using UNC path (\\server\folder)
-putting remote username and remote password
-Went to control panel>services and changed the user that the Networker services log on as. Changed from local system to an administrator account
-disabled firewall to make sure that it wasnt a firewall issue
-added fully qualified domain name to host file
-deleted 127.0.1 from host file
-savefs command runs just fine (final line reads savefs servername succeeded)
-Here are t he first few lines of the savegrp command

I:\>savegrp -vvv -c server.test.com groupname
server.test.com:\\mappedsamba\projects\user\images level=incr
03/11/08 16:01:50 savegrp: Group will not limit job parallelism
03/11/08 16:01:50 savegrp: server.test.com:probe started
savefs -s server.test.com -c server.test.com -g groupname -p -l full -R -v -F \\mappedsamba\projects\user\images
03/11/08 16:01:50 savegrp: command 'savefs -s server.test.com -c server.test.com -g groupname -p -l full -R -v -F \\mappedsamba\projects\user\images ' for client server.test.com exited with return code 1.
03/11/08 16:01:50 savegrp: job (642) host: server.test.com savepoint: server.test.com:probe had SEVERE indication(s) at completion.
03/11/08 16:01:50 savegrp: server.test.com:probe abandoned.
03/11/08 16:01:50 savegrp: server.test.com:index started
save -s server.test.com -S -g groupname -LL -f - -m server.test.com -V -t 1205093761 -l 9 -LL -W 78 -N index:4dc46b12-00000004-47b0c3b2-47b0c3b1-00010000-891e1ca4 C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\index\server.test.com
* server.test.com:index save: Saving files modified since Sun Mar 09 15:16:01 2008.
* server.test.com:index uasm: Saving files modified since Sun Mar 09 15:16:01 2008.
* server.test.com:index uasm: C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\index\server.test.com\db6\47b90000\: The system cannot find the path specified.uasm: C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\index\server.test.com\db6\47bb0000\: The system cannot find the path spec
ified.uasm: C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\index\server.test.com\db6\47d60000\: The system cannot find the path specified.uasm -s db6\
* server.test.com:index C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\index\server.test.com\
* server.test.com:index
server.test.com: index:server.test.com level=9, 2 KB 00:00:01 2 files
03/11/08 16:01:52 savegrp: server.test.com:index succeeded.
03/11/08 16:01:52 savegrp: server.test.com:bootstrap started
save -s server.test.com -S -g groupname -LL -f - -m server.test.com -V -l 0 -LL -W 78 -N bootstrap -x C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\res C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\mm
* server.test.com:bootstrap C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\res\ha_srv_db.res\00\

Could anybody shed some light on the matter?

Thanks

I have not used the savegrp command in the past. However here are some things I spotted in you post for you to investigate.
Samba clients don't like long directory names. You will have to shorten them down. ie \Program Files\ will not fly. Off the top of my head I don't remember the windows way to shorten this. Also try making you user a member of the backup operators group. I don't know if this possible but have you tried putting a linux client on the system being backed up and pulling data that way. ie Can a Windows server backup a 7.3.2 linux client?? Also you said you had success backing up the Samba client from command prompt. Try writing a batch file and calling that batch file from windows. Be carefull of 16 bit compatibility. I tried this once and had to restore my save.exe file. So be warned copy all your legato program files. This is just some of my thoughts and I will be watching for a post back to see how you get along.

Jimbo

Have you tried DFS ?
Define a DFS entry point on your Windows server,
mount the samba server into this structure and use this mount point for your saveset.

Example: If your Etrntrypoint is called F:\dfsentry and you mount your sambaserver to f:\dfsentry\sambaserver1
thats the name of the saveset.

I've had some Bad Things happen when dealing with Networker and DFS mounts.

If you get that working, run a regular full of your server and make sure you are getting everything. Compare saveset sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back