Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

talcs

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2003
GB
Veritas seem to be going on about being able to backup laptops on the fly with ver 9.1 running on Windows Server 2003. I have searched the net for more info on how this is done and if additional licenses are required. Does anyone know anything about this? Any reading matter would be appreciated.

talcs - the option you are looking for is called Desktop Laptop Option (DLO) - its an add on sort of thing for backup exec, but still seperate.
We had veritas give us a thing about it a couple of weeks ago - looks OK I spose - don't know if we would go for it yet.
Licensing is seperate, I think you get them in packs of 50 or 100 or something, bought 5 dollars each license.
check the veritas website, I am sure you will find what you need.

Thanks Justin. Will take nother look. Could not find much on the Veritas website before.

cheers

The thing about DLO, is that it does not backup to tape, it backs up and syncronizes folders between machines to a folder created on a server.

It pretty much works like this. You BE server has a DLO option to run, which brings up another gui. At this point, you are not intergrated with Backup Exec at all. You are running a seperate program. You then can set up folders that users can backup and sync to. The DLO main server allows you to either be very restrictive and basically tell the users what, when and how much can be backed up, or you can allow users to make the choices themselves.

You set up the way you want it in policies that you create.

You can then backup the folders that are created, but that is just a regular backup of the server it resides on.

And yes, it is a paid option like AOFO or IDR.

Why not use off-line folders then. It's free and works. What are the benefits?

talcs

benefits I can think of..

1. You can keep version history of documents.
2. The backup is quicker - it will only backup the changes it has made - it still copies the whole file across - but only the changed ones.
2a. Backups happening over dialup or broadband connections can be done - relatively quickly as well - depending of course on teh size of the backup to be done.
Imagine if you have a 2gb offline folder on your laptop and connecting by 56k modem?
3. Offline folders wouldn't do mdb's if I remember correctly - DLO does every file with no problems.

I think we are only talking about $5 a license for this - so it isn't exactly real expensive.

I spose in some ways, especially for point 1 - DLO is similar to Shadow Copies in Win2K3.

Seems a little clearer now. Found some other articles searching under DLO.

Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back