Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up laptop drive onto desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

peaceDev

Programmer
May 16, 2003
Hi all! I need help. I currently have two computers: a laptop and a desktop. I use the laptop more frequently and I'd like to make a backup of the entire hard drive. Since my desktop hard drive is about 5 times larger, I was thinking about using it for my backup. The problem is that I'd like to know if in order to do this I'd have to create a new partition.

The desktop's HD is already partitioned and has Win98 and Linux Redhat installed, so I didn't want to mess around with the partitions again. Besides it was a real pain to do because of the size of the hard disk and the whole addressing issue.

I'd also appreciate any tips on how to go about doing the backup.

I would truly appreciate any help you could give me.

Thanx!

I would personally purchase an external drive and backup to it using the backup software the drive comes with. I recommend the Maxter 80GB 7200RPM External.

Hi Comtec,

if I purchase an external drive, could I back up both hard drives on it? My current lap top drive is 4 GB, so 80 GB is a bit too much for it to be the sole backed up drive.

Thanks for your help.

Yes, you can backup full and do incrementals. It does not place a special file out there, it actually replicates or mirrors your disk to the external. I have 4 machines that use it to backup.

What do you think about Iomega's line of external HDs? They seem cheaper then the Maxtor but is it worth it?

When you say that you use it to back up more than one hard drive, how do you go about doing that? Do you have 4 partitions?

When I backup my drives, I choose to backup by directory structure. You can choose to backup a partition to a file as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back