Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up Exchange on non-Exchange Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnL

MIS
Jul 18, 2000
US
Have anyone ever been able to set up a non-Exchange server to backup Exchange data on another server?  I have a member server w/ ArcserveIT 6.61 AE installed on it and would like to use it to backup one of our Exchange server (since we care fazing out Arcserve).  CAI makes mention that you can backup Exchange with a non-Exchange server with AE, but the instructions are very vague and didn't help.  Anyway, has any one ever tried this?  What about with SQL?  Thanks!!!

We do exactly that Arcserve, Exchange and SQL are all on completely different servers. Do you have the Exchange and SQL agents?

Yes, I have the Exchange and SQL agents...  do they also need to be on the member server that is backing the Exchange and SQL clients?  The way we used to do it was installed a tape drive, arcserve and the exchange client on our BDC at the home office that had exchange.  Then used that machine to backup all the remote exchange servers.  I tried using the instructions on that EvilOptic pointed me to before I even posted this, but can't get it to work.  I created the local acct, but when I try to open the brick level part, it won't expand any mailboxes or public folders.  Can you tell me how you have yours set up?  Right now I'm just trying to backup one Exchange server (a BDC) that has the exchange client installed on it.  I want to back it up from a member server that has Arcserve installed on it.  The member server doesn't have the client on it, but if it needs to be, I have licenses to install it on there too.  Any help is appreciated.

on the bdc create an account with the following rights<br>Domain admin<br>Administrators<br>Backup Ops<br>Domain Users<br><br>Advanced user rights of:<br>Log on locally<br>Log on as a service<br>Act as a part of the operating system<br>&quot;DO NOT RELY ON GROUP MEMBERSHIP&quot; Add the user to the above lists<br><br>make mailbox and send mail to it<br><br>Then create an account of the same name and password [case 4 case] on the member server with the same rights as above [- domain admin\user coz u ain't got it on a member]<br><br>This should do it, if not lemme know

That's exactly what I did, but it doesn't work.&nbsp;&nbsp;The domain account was already set up and has been used to do backups before and works fine.&nbsp;&nbsp;I created the same acct on the member server with the same rights and password and etc, but when I use the manager and go into the exchange server I can't expand any of the brick level stuff.&nbsp;&nbsp;No error, just doesn't expand them.&nbsp;&nbsp;Anything else I need to do on the member server?

Change the &quot;backup agent rpc server&quot; service to login as the dbagent account then stop\start it

Ahhh.. man this is awful... I did that... set the service to start as the local dbagent account and it's still not working.  anything else?  It's not making much sense....

Nope.... we have the Advanced Edition on all our servers.

--> i was wondering if ShawnL was able to find out what the problem is. I am having the same exact problem and have used every tip from support on ca's site. and to no avail cannot figure it out. I have tried the same remedies and they haven't worked.

--->mikeyc

Okay, deep breath.......ahhh
member server with arcserve with an account thats the same [to a point (as there are no domain admin or users)] as the bdc. You can see the exchange items in the backup screen but cannot expand them. No messages. Have you right clicked on the exchange server object and supplied the dbagent account. What version of the backup agent do you have? Are the machines in the same domain? I have this setup at work and it works fine. Are you using the nt client agent? Do you have the latest exchange service pack [and arcserves for that matter].

I am glad that you took a deep breath. I have two servers that are backing up exchange. One is on the exchange server and one a separate server. Both have ArcServeIT6.61 with service pack 2, and backup agent 2. All servers are in the same domain, and all service packs and patches are installed on both exchange and ArcServe. Both are configured in the same way. The problem with the backup on the exchange server is that the exchange items cannot be expanded; more specifically the public folders folder cannot expand into each folder. I am not sure what you are talking about when you say right click on the exchange server object. That could be it the step I have been missing. And thanks for responding.

I also have one more thing to ask, when I am restoring or backing up should I be logged into machine as the dbagent or as something else, like a backup operator, admin, domain admin or myself. I have tried all of them though and none of them seem to work.

Using NT backup, you need to load Exchange Administrator on a Non-Echange server in order to backup to it. This might also be required for ArcServe. I have not yet installed it for our Exchange backup but am reading this thread with interest.
Dan

Well my backup agent for RPC server service doesnot start. It gives error saying Access is denied. I gave following right to dbagent account,

Domain admin
Administrators
Backup Ops
Domain Users

Advanced user rights of:
Log on locally
Log on as a service
Act as a part of the operating system
&quot;DO NOT RELY ON GROUP MEMBERSHIP&quot; Add the user to the above lists

any idea..please help

Status
Not open for further replies.