Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up Exchange 2000 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgw69

MIS
Mar 31, 2003
US
I am setting Backup Exec 9.0 to backup exchange 2000. I have all the individual mailboxes set to backup and the information store. Do i need to backup drive M: (mailboxes) and drive F: (datastores and logs)?
thanks
Dgw

You must backup the data store (information store). Mailboxes are optional. Skip the M: drive.

The Info Store backup is a complete backup of the entire store (much quicker backup, but if you need to restore, you must restore everybody at once).

The mailbox backup, also called a brick level backup, allows you to back up an individual mailbox (much slower to backup, also a duplication of your info store files, but allows you to restore an individual users mailbox).

You do not want to backup M: drive. Also, you can browse the file system and exclude some files from the file system backups, like

priv1.edb
priv1.stm
pub1.edb
pub1.stm

Veirtas should have more details in a white paper.

Steve Meek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back