Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up email on NT

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 1999
US
I'm using Seagate to backup all my files from a NT server. It works great, however how hard I try or fiddle with it, I cann't seem to get it to backup my exchanger server files. It is kinda of important if you really think about it. I don't know if anybody is aware of this so I'll just put it out. You know that over time your server can get packed with very old mails that is stored within the server. If you delete these mails, any existing contacts with the same date on it will also be deleted. So people that have been saving their contacts for business purposes will be lost. We are now autoarchiving all email and contacts on each individual computers. But as you might guess they too tend to get large.

Are you saying that the backup works okay, but it gives some kind of error when it get's to you Exchange server Files? I mean, if you are backing up all of your files, wouldn't you be backing up the Exchange too?<br>

I had a similiar problem with the Groupwise Post Office files in Netware 4.11. We received errors on every backup that the Post Office files could not be backed up. According to Backup Exec Tech support, these files never close, even when you shut down the post office. Probably so messages can be placed there from remote Post Office agents in the NDS Tree.<br>
<br>
They recommended a product called Open File Manager, (available from Seagate) by St Bernard Software. It backs up open databases by taking a "picture" of the files, and checking to see that indexes are current, then dumps them on the tape. I don't know if it is available for NT, but a configuration file that the software references has entries for dozens of Backup Software products that I had never heard of. It worked for us right out of the box, and Groupwise backs up every time. We used it for a hardware upgrade, and the Groupwise files and data restored perfectly.

To pray, thanks for the advice I'll remember that. I'll research it on microsoft. Hope your problem is solved.

Why not use the Microsoft backup program for Exchange?<br>
<br>
I assume you cannot shutdown this machine and run backup exec from a "NT maint os"<br>
<br>
Seagate (Veritas) does have a backup agent for Exchange<br>
(about $700 if I remember right)<br>
<br>
Brent

You can't backup Exchange server without the backup agent. I tried I failed. If you are still looking at this issue, its about the only way round it...<br>
<br>
Zel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back