Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up disabled user accounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoreyWilson

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2004
CA
Hello gang,

Im running Veritas 9.1 with Exchange 2000 agent backing up Exchange 2000 ive been having a problem which I dont think should be...when I disable an AD user account the backup always completes in a failed state, stating that the particular users mail directory could not be found and could not be backed up.

We have a large environment where people come and go from the company regularly, obviously as with most companies when a user leaves or is terminated it is policy to lock there account immediately. However, we still like to keep this account around, so we can rename it later for the person filling this position and hence do-away with recreating all new permissions and joining groups. As well we like to keep the mailboxes around for atleast a month just incase the correspondence is required.

So how can we avoid receiving errors when we disable a user account in active directory but dont want to purge and hence delete there mailbox? I would presume this does not mean having to enter the job selections and manually removing this mailbox from the backup job each time this situation arises, as we get maybe one, sometimes two or three of these a week.

suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Backup Exec cannot access a disabled mailbox period. You should export to *.pst any correspondence or contacts you want to keep and delete, or disable the account. Anytime you disable an account you have to remove it from the selections tab in backup exec or you will get a failed status.

You data is still being backed up though so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back