Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up Administrative Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

tumas

IS-IT--Management
May 6, 2006
MT
Hey Guys,

I would like to make a backup of my administrative tools, is there anyway that I could back up all of these Mailnly

Active Directory
DHCP
DNS
WINS

Thanks!

well I would like to make a backup of Active directory DNS DHCP and the rest, incase i will need to reconstruct my server i just restore the backups

Sounds like you want a complete backup of the whole server and include the system state.

well that is happening, I am backing up data and system state, however system state if im not mistaken backs up only Active Directory and not DHCP DNS WINS etc.

I know the DHCP database is located at \\servername\{windir}\system32\dhcp\dhcp.mdb
So if you do complete backups of the Windows Directory, you should have it. I'm not sure of DNS and WINS, but best practices would have a backup DNS and WINS server in the domain anyway, so when you bring the original server back online, you can replicate them back.

in system state i will be backing up full active directory with all users and so on. if i replicate i can replicate dns, and dhcp from that link you gave me.. you think they will work?

Yes - I think of you have a full backup of the server and system state and have a backup DNS and WINS server, you should be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back