Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up a database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

generaluser

Technical User
May 24, 2002
US
How do you backup a split database? Call me stupid but is copying a database into a new file and renaming it considered backing it up? Please let me know. Thanks.

For Access, yes copying the database to a new file name is considered backing up the database. If you are using SQL for the backend, it has a backup procedure that will allow you to do true incremental backups.

For best results, you should be using a scheduling program to automate the backup rather than doing it manually. Make sure to schedule it for a time when no one will be in the database.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jay

Remember... although you will be 'backing up' your database by making a copy of it, you won't actually be protecting it unless you make your copy on another drive. If both your original and 'backup' exist on the same drive, they will both be lost if the drive crashes.

Randy

Thanks. When I back up the datbase, I would be backing up the 'front end' not the 'back end' right? Another question. I just read a thread (link below) that says when you have a multi-user enviroment and a split database, you want the back end on the network and a copy of the front end on each user's pc so that everyone can use it at once. If I were to update information in the back end while everyone is working on the front end will that be a problem? Please let me know. Sorry for all the dumb questions but I'm new to this 'split database' thing.

thread181-331899

There are a couple of considerations

1) The front end generally contains queries, reports, and forms

2)The back end generally contains tables (i.e. data)

3) If someone is using the front end, they (in general) are accessing data in the back end. In other words, if you are using the front end, you are also using the back end. This is not 100% the case, but in normal database usage, it is.

Updating information in the backend while users are accessing on the front end may or may not be a problem. For example, if a user is accessing Form A in the front end that is based on table A in the back end, you will most likely have problems if you try to change a datatype in table A and save it. If however a user is using form B based on table B and you update table A (which no one is using), you should have no problem.

Let me know if you have questions on this or need clarification.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back