Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backing to disk with v9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlespeechumuthu

Technical User
Dec 2, 2002
US
Hi,
We have Arcserve 9.0 for windows and we also have Dell Powervault on the network. Can I back up the W2K sever to Powervault sever using Arcserve 9.0
(something similar to Backup-to-Disk option on Backup Exec)

Any pointers, help is greatly appreciated.

TIA
Charles

HI,

ARCserve needs a Tape device attached LOCALLY to that server.

you cannot backup to a tape device on the network..
this is possible only in a SAN setup ...

However you can backup to a remote FS device

cheers
speshalyst So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

I went to the page have been there before however i am just as lost if not more. The page is just a question and vage answer can anyone give any isight to this are they doing it and if so what is your scheem, I am just out here asking for help this product will be the death of me.

Just upgraded to BrightStor Arcserve 9 and it seems to be working OK except I'm not getting any Tape Statistics, all counts are 0. Any Ideas?

So, I made the mistake of looking for patches on CA's web site. It is still a mess :(.

There are many patches listed, of course, including something they call SP4. To see if I needed to install SP4 I looked at 'Help, About' on my current install of Brightstor and see that I have Ver 9 build 1868.

The SP4 readme file does not mention what build it will update Brightstor too! How am I supposed to tell what patch level my current install of Brightstor is at and if I need to install SP4 !?!?

I totally understand you JimInKS their website sucks you can't find anything and their technical support is the worst I know more than those guys.
I have looked at a few things that tells you how to do the disk backup but I guess it will have to be trial and error to get it right. Dam i upgraded to 9 and i can't do a device configuration still pissing me off. If you find anything just let me know.

Nice to commiserate with you nycbrooklyn!

I did intend to start a new thread with my question though, not reply to yours :~/

HI,

JIm,, guess you were looking in the wrong place...

they have seperate page for Brightstore v9.0 patches.

check out

cheers
speshalyst
So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

really I was looking to see if there are any patches for brightstore 9 can you please post that link for me.

OK, here is the Brightstor V9 page I found. Not sure where I was before, some other version of Brightstor I guess.

You can click on the link for Patchs and updates. There is one cumulative patch, but the documentation is not real clear on what it does other than the disaster recovery issue mentioned. I guess I'll be brave and try it tomorrow, time permitting.

I asked CA about this and they tell me that a service pack for Brightstor v9 is supposed to be out in about a week or two. I have an issue with Storage Resource Manager conflicting with BAB v9 that this is supposed to fix.

Ronnie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back