Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Background RGB different from Photoshop to Word?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradg

Technical User
Jun 4, 2001
US
I have some logos I want to insert into Word. I created them in photoshop and tried saving as jpg, gif, etc. No matter what the format, the logos come up with a slightly grayer background than the background on the page. These same graphics work fine in Dreamweaver.

Both backrounds have a 255 (white) RGB code, Hue 170, Sat 0; although Word has a setting for luminocity (255) and Photoshop does not.

I am guessing that word is referencing the color differently, but I cannot find a color settings panel for the RGB setup in Word. In Photoshop, the gamma is set to 2.20, with the white point at 6500degrees K, on the sRGB settings.

I also tried exporting as a gif w/transparent background, but it came out with that phantom trace around it that makes a great image look crummy.

This one is really driving me nuts! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad Gallagher

Use TIFF, with 300DPI res, but it has to be RGB since Word does not allow for CMYK (which precludes professional printing with 4-colour seps) Never use Gif for pronting purposes, and JPG is lossy, so TIFF is preferred.

Word ( a secretarie's word processing tool) also does not allow for professional color management like Photoshop (a professional designer's tool) does. So you may not have an accurate screen view of the colors. I don't know what the printed output would be, have you printed any pages and compared the output yet? The printed pages may be close enough for rock and roll. If the printed colour is critical, then I would suggest that you use a professional DTP program such as InDesign, QuarK or Pagemaker. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back