Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Background Process disabling Defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbell

MIS
Feb 19, 2002
AU
I've been trying to run defrag on Windows ME. The Defrag program reports that it's re-started ten times due to disk activity. Can anyone help me in determining what is running.

Prior to running it I disabled Virus Scan and then when it was running I used CTRL ALT DEL to bring up the box showing the processes running. I killed off a job, restarted defrag, defrag reported the same problem, killed another job and so on until all jobs were deleted and the P.C. crashed.

Apart from the box that comes up with CTRL ALT DEL does anyone know how to tell what is running on your P.C.

TIA
Greg

Run MSCONFIG to get a survey of programs started from the startup group, the registry, autoexec.bat and so on.
To perform the defrag, you need some disk space. Before defragging, delete unneeded files.

Restart your computer into safe mode and run defrag from there. Nothing should be running from there to interfere with it. Also turn off the screen saver.

gbell:

Click Start>Run and type in msinfo32. Expand Software Environment and then click on Running Tasks. This will show all processes that are currently running as well as other info about them. It often displays tasks that are hidden from Ctr/Alt/Del. See what you can find in there.

It's tedious...but I just keep control\alt\deleting and ending tasks of everything except explorer and then defrag. Works fine. Then reboot. Works on Millenium and 98SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back