Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Background picture not showing when I post my site....??? why???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerm291113

Technical User
Jul 19, 2000
US
I am posting a website and every page has a background picture.... the problem is that when I post it, there is ONE page that WILL NOT show the background picture.&nbsp;&nbsp;When I preview it in the browser it shows up but, when I post it, it will not show.... I have NO IDEA what is going on with this .... Can anyone help?? I have to have this posted ASAP for a client of mine... AHHHHH this is soooooo frustrating!!<br><br>Any help would be much much much appreciated as I have tried everything I can think of......<br><br>One more thing... the background pictures I have been using on each page takes SOOOOOO long to download when I post it and then try to bring up the page.... any suggestions on getting the size of the file down to knock down the download size... I saved it as a JPEG but, someone told me to save it a s .GIF file... but, when I do that it makes it all &quot;dithered&quot; and if I change it to &quot;web solid&quot; it makes it all funky looking..... ANY SUGGESTIONS????<br><br>Thank you for ANY advice you have<br><br>Jeremiah 29: 11-13<br>God's got a wonderful plan...even for you!!!!

Don't have anything to offer re: your background image -- have you tried deleting the image and reinserting?<br><br>About your download times:&nbsp;&nbsp;Try resampling your images -- this is a button on the Pictures tool bar (4 arrows pointing in at the corners of the picture)-- if you select your image (after resizing) and click the button, your resolution will be adjusted and download time reduced.

I'm not sure what's causing the image not to show up on the page.&nbsp;&nbsp;But do check and make sure that the links for the image are okay.&nbsp;&nbsp;For instance, on that page, it may be looking for the image on your hard drive, as opposed to in the web site itself.&nbsp;&nbsp;This is something very, very easy to do in Front Page.<br><br>As for the image load time, I'll offer an alternate suggestion--and you can still keep the image.&nbsp;&nbsp;You want the image to be around 20KBs or so.&nbsp;&nbsp;More than that and you've got slow load times.&nbsp;&nbsp;Start by using an image program--Corel Photo Paint, Adobe Photo Deluxe, etc.--and bring the size down, both in KB and actual picture size (if it's 8x10, that's part of the size problem).<br><br>And instead of making it a background picture, try making it a watermark instead.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can use the following Java Script (the image does need to be in the same directory as the page):<br><br>Insert this after the &lt;body&gt; tag:<br><br>&lt;script language=&quot;JavaScript1.2&quot;&gt;<br><br>if (document.all)<br>document.body.style.cssText=&quot;background:white url(watermark.jpg) no-repeat fixed right bottom&quot;<br>&lt;/script&gt;<br><br><br> <p>Linda Adams<br><a href=mailto:Garridon@aol.com>Garridon@aol.com</a><br><a href= Adams Online</a><br>I'm a professional writer, published internationally.

Thank you for the advice.....I actually got it working but I dont know how I did it.&nbsp;&nbsp;I think the problem was in the &quot;posting&quot;... It was not posting that particular page correctly... I ended up clicking on the &quot;refresh&quot; in the View menu and then re-posted Everything back up there.....and it seemed to work...again, I don't know why it worked but, I think it was due to an &quot;updating&quot; issue..<br><br>thank you for the advice .... I am actually going to be&nbsp;&nbsp;taking a class on Front Page 2000 but it does not start until November...yuck!!!.. But I am glad we have this forum here because I am sure I will have A LOT more questions until then...ha!<br><br>thanks<br><br>Jeremiah 29:11-13<br>God's got a plan...Even for you!!!

When you're just learning to work with images, it can be very helpful to save copies as jpgs AND gifs. Insert both as in FP. You should be able to tell which one you prefer. Normally, you'd want to save photos as jpgs and plain color clip art or graphic words as gifs, but many images are hard to tell which way works best.<br><br>Save and preview in browser (FP98 users need to publish first), right click on the image &gt; Properties.&nbsp;&nbsp;This will give you the file size for the image. Compare the file sizes of the jpg vs. gif. This will also help you learn which way to save, and how much to compress the file size without degrading the image too much.<br><br>Linda<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new">

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back