Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Background image

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecm28

Technical User
May 16, 2005
US
I use photoshop for alot of my graphics,with everyone having their monitors set to different resolutions, how do i save my backgrounds so that they will constrain when people open them?

I'd either design a repeating background that tiles no matter what the resolution, or pick a fixed size and let users with a smaller resolution use the scrollbars (it's what they're there for).

Personally, I'd assume 1024x768 as a base resolution (no more is 800x600 the norm!), so maybe go for a width of around 960px for your site.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

I disagree with the above statement, but only for the following reasons: (Debate is good!)

It is entirly possible that the browser may not be opened full-screen, and even if it is, the user may have a 'favorites' box open, narrowing down the visible area.

My suggestion would be to go for a smaller background image - 700px or so wide, and centre the whole page. That way you get best compatibility, and it still wouldn't look too bad at higher resolutions.

Regards, Andy.
My pathetic attempts at learning HTML can be laughed at here:
My home page

Both suggestions are good. Another would be to use javascript to detect the size of the window and make the page fit to that size. The downside of this is, however, that not all users will have browsers that support javascript or have it enabled. For accessibility purposes, I usually use tiles and/or center.

Maria Santella
Technical Sales Engineer
ICP DAS USA

Another would be to use javascript to detect the size of the window and make the page fit to that size
You should absolutely NOT do this at all under any circumstance.
For me, any site that resizes my browser window I will never visit again.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Take a deep breath, Chris. I read that as making the page fit the browser window, not the other way around.

On the other hand, I typically pick a target size (using min-width and max-width for compliant browsers) and let IE6 have a specific width defined.

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

...and pick just one size of background (usually centered, but sometimes on a corner or side as needed). e.g.
Code:
...no-repeat fixed left bottom;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back