Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Background image placement and IE issuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChocolateLover

Programmer
Jan 5, 2006
GB
I'm trying to be good and make this website table-less
I have 2 questions.

1) Header - in the CSS I have two background images, one aligned left and one aligned right. The total width of the two images is 750px. The width of the content can expand and contract between a minimum of 800px and maximum of 1000px as the browser window is resized. At the moment if the width of the browser window is less than 750px (approx) the right hand image falls down the page. Is there a way to allow the image to move in relation to the width of the browser window, but to stop at a certain point, ie not to fall down the screen?

2) IE6 and IE7 (not sure about other IEs, but works ok in Safari, Firefox, Netscape Navigator 7.2 and Opera) the navigation seems to fall about three quarters of the way down the page. It should be to the right, along the line under the header.

I'd be grateful fro any advice.

Thanks

Regarding the first question:
Is there a way to allow the image to move in relation to the width of the browser window, but to stop at a certain point, ie not to fall down the screen?
Sure, wrap the two images in an enclosing DIV and then give that DIV a min-width value (for IE6 browsers you have to do some more trickery -
Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Blog [!]@[/!] CodeRambler
[/tt]

Make sure your web page and css validates properly against the doctype you have chosen - before you attempt to debug a problem!

FAQ216-6094

Of course, thanks. I just copied the code that was dictating the width of the main content into the header css.

Thanks very much for your help.

I just need some help with the navigation now.

Remove the position and top values for the navigation in the css. I don't really know why you have them there, but they have no effect in FF and they push the navigation down in IE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back