Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backgound music connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidfred

IS-IT--Management
Oct 26, 2001
US
We have an external source for audio to be played while a caller is on hold. I cannot get it to function. Signal is at pins on terminal block, internal block wires are Violet with green trace and green with violet trace...

Without knowing your phone system I can only give general information but music on hold normally hangs off an analog port on a switch, on a key system it's normally a pre-programmed port with an rj-11 plug in. For a switch you define the port to which music is assigned as the extension of the analog port. The system then directs on hold callers to that location. First I would make sure my external music source had power and was functioning properly. Then I would check the integrity of the pair connecting to my system and then I would verify any programming pieces within the system.

MAXG,

The phone system we have is a Nortel ICS 4.0. I have a "loop" tape device hooked into Violet/Green and Green/Violet pair on a block. (The other block has the phones hooked to it) I have verified that the connections in fact have a signal on them. This signal is coming from the device's 600 ohm output. There is also an 8 ohm output that does not go to the block, but instead into the floor of the closet with other lines. An oddity I note is that if I disconnect the 8 phm while monitoring the 600 ohm, I loose the signal completely...

Thanks,
SIDFRED

So, the signal is coming off the music souce (which has output) into the twenty-third pair on a block all by itself? How is that block/pair then connected to your Nortel? Have you checked to see if the signal is good all the way to the phone system? Also, what are callers getting now when put on hold? Silence? Just a no-brainer but is there a volume control for the music source either on the device itself or on the input to the phone system? I don't know what the connection would be going into the floor, possible ground?

My book for the ICS 4.0 shows that MOH uses pair 17 (yellow/orange) on the second 25-pair station cable, not pair 23 (violet/green).

The problem with the 8-ohm output should be a separate problem.

Yours,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back