Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backexec 8.5 - Exchange 2K mailboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rleeunc

MIS
Feb 28, 2001
US
Since we have replaced our mail server(nt4,exch5.5) with a new PC (Win 2K, Exch 2K), Backup exec can no longer backup mailboxes. The new server has the same name and IP as the old one had. I have deleted the bewinui file and let it recreate, copied the mapi32.dll to the Backup exec directory, run fixmapi, re-installed the exchange client, installed the remote client on the new mail server, etc. If I go into backup selections, when I try to select Exchange Mailboxes, it keeps asking for a unique exchangr mailbox name. I've tried mine, the previous LAN admin's, the backup exec mailbox name, administrator, none will attach. Thanks for your advice!!! Rlee@ncdoi.net

I had a similar problem and went rounds with the software till i found somewhere that veritas has a problem recognizing the distinguished name in EX2k.

I got mine to work finally by installing Windows 2000 support tools off the windows cd and then going to adsi edit. Go in and find your account that is being used for a backup account in the domain container. Open the properties for that user then select "Both" in the "Select which properties...." and selct "legacyExchangeDN" in the "select which property to view". If your string looks something like this

/O=.../OU=.../CN=.../CN=...

you get the picture. You need to change the letters to lowercase for some reason for veritas to see it. So it should look like this.

/o=.../ou=.../cn=.../cn=...

I don't know if this is your problem or not but it fixed my problem so I could see my mailboxes on the backup server. Hope this helps you.

Found one more article on the veritas site.

Sorry about this but it had a long time since I had this problem and fixed it. The first solution I posted here solves the problem when you have sgmon.exe running and the log tells you that the name cannot be found in the address book.

instead of the ADSI edit tool, there is a command line tool that does the same thing but can be safer. There's an article on it on the MS site.

<B>HEY ZELANDAKH</B> What is the MS-Q article for that ADSI EDIT alternative?? Looked for it and couldn't find it. Will keep looking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back