Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BackEnds & MDE's

Status
Not open for further replies.

grantc

Technical User
Mar 1, 2001
NZ
Hello

I am about to unleash a database that I've been working on for several months and would like some ideas regarding splitting databases and making MDE's. I have read so many threads about file corruption etc that I am looking for the safest method.

This is what I had in mind:

Split the database and put the _be on a file server (NT enviroment) compile the front end database to a MDE file and distribute to the client's workstations. I then update the table links to look at the _be on the server.

Does this sound ok ? Will the speed be compromised ?

Thanks
Grant

No it is the right thing to do, just remeber if you are changing your startup options and are not allowiing full access menus and no shortcut keys, that you will need a way to programatically link the tables.

Best of Luck

When you create an mde file, you've buttoned it up and can no longer do things like change the link paths of tables. I'm doing this very thing right now and have written some code to do it programatically. I'll share if it will help.
The problem I'm running into is just what you were afraid of: sloooooow network response to the client part. I'd also be interested in knowing why this is and how to resolve it. Let me know if you'd like the code.
DoogieB

Not sure if this will help your situation but here is an optimizing technique that will help your program run faster. Note: When Compiling Use the

OPTION COMPARE DATABASE
OPTION EXPLICIT

at the begining of all modules and behind all forms. This will look for help optimize your Database even more bychecking specifics of your coding and references.

HTH

Thanks for the fast responses:

I have been able to use the linked table manager with the MDE file and it seems to be working.

The problem is the speed it takes about 7 seconds to open and populate a form with data which seems very slow even on a 10Mb network. I am not sure where to from here as far as the speed is concerned.

I would appreciate a sample of your code Doogie, if you can email it to grantc@actrix.gen.nz

Thanks
Grant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back