Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backend Bloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

lameid

Programmer
Jan 31, 2001
US
I have a backend database that has been observed bloated it the 390 MB range and on compact is under 7 MB.

I am well aware of the difference in record locking and not and record locking is turned on.

Interestingly the file after compact was 6600 KB. Then I ran a particular process that adds records (<100) amongst 4 tables. After this process it shot up to 113,764 KB. Then compact and down to 6680 KB. Next I stepped through the same code and it grew to 6948 KB. A subsequent compact and down to 6720 KB. This latter test is in line with what I would expect, a few extra hundred k for record locking. Now I have been unable to repeat the first crazy growth. Any thoughts on what causes this sort of thing or may be intermittent?

I suspect something about code but rather than a general go implement best practices direction, I was hoping someone had some specific thoughts on what to fix first.

Typically this is a multi-user system but my test was done with a copy of the BE / FE locally and attached locally.

As a side note we recently ran across a similar issue for Front ends when a recordset is not closed properly.... Access recompiles the code multiple times, bloating the file. A reason I tend to look first at legacy code.

It is repeatable... Compact the source copy backend get the 6660 KB file (oops I was off 60K when I typed) and then get the huge growth...

Now the weird part compact the 6660 KB file... get a 6652 KB file... run the same process again... 2 out of 3 times the database bloat is hundreds of KB as expected.

After checking other systems with the same code, this seems to be anomalous rather than the rule. I am chalking it up to sometimes bad things happen in the computing world. I still suspect the compiler and code not being less than ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back